Friday, September 25, 2009

Bagels!

Ever since we discovered Colin's red dye allergy I've become a label reading maniac. I don't think I ever realized just how many foods have artificial colouring in them. Of course, most labels will just say "colour" and won't tell you WHAT colours they used so we've had to take out so many things. The upside to this is that it's got me cooking from scratch again. Tonight it was blueberry bagels.

I use this recipe that I got from the lovely 4Hats. I've made the recipe as is and it's fantastic but this time I decided to substitute 1c. of frozen blueberries for the raisins.
Photobucket
The dough
Photobucket
Letting them rise
Photobucket
Boiling
Photobucket
The finished product

I don't know if it's the lighting in my kitchen or something with my camera, but these pictures don't do justice to the colour of the finished bagels. They are a really rich indigo/violet with dark navy pieces of blueberry throughout. They're not nearly as perfect looking as store bought bagels but they taste amazing and as an added bonus my kitchen now smells like cinnamon and blueberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment